Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

New Boot Rack for the Mk1 Eunos

Cars new, old, future we love our cars. Any make, any model this is the place to discus it.

Moderators: jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

New Boot Rack for the Mk1 Eunos

Post by jthspace » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm

I managed to get "Rare as Hen's Teeth" boot rack for the Mk1 in excellent condition. It came complete with a boot lid which was a massive amount of good fortune - it acted as the template for the hole drilling that had to take place.

First - remove the rack from the old boot lid. Not as easy as it sounds as (a) one of the captive nuts had been replaced with a bolt and (b) one of the captive nuts was loose and it was near-impossible to remove the M5 screw . After managing to get two thin screwdrivers under the chrome digging into the nut, I managed to get the screw out.

Second - with partner out of the house - everything went in the dish washer to remove years of grime. The corner chromed plastic "knuckles" were peeling, so I spent an hour peeling and scraping the chrome off and getting back to the plastic. Gave them a good wash and de-grease. These have been sprayed black and I am waiting 24 hours for the first coat to dry before giving them a second coat. Special paint for plastic, wood etc. drying to matt black.

Third - ordered some M5 captive nuts from eBay for the pricely sum of £3.50 for 25.

Fourth - borrowed the rivet gun needed from a Triumph TR3 owner around the corner - that took 2 hours as I was called upon to assist in some work :)

Fifth - taped up the old bootlid with masking tape and measured all of the holes / distances and transferred the same measurements to the Mk1 bootlid.

Sixth - offered up a sacrifice to the Metal Drilling Deity

Seventh - Measure twice, drill once - in fact I Measured 6 times, drilled once.

Eighth - Drilled 5mm pilot hole, opened up to 8mm. Captive nuts were 7mm but would not fit a 7mm hole without risk of deforming the bootlid if I forced them in. Put some paint around the edge of the holes and left to dry for 30 minutes.

Ninth - Used the rivet gun to insert the 8 M5 captive nuts. All a very nice tight fit.

Tenth - Aligned the rack parts over the holes/rivet nuts and they all lined up with one exception, one was (maybe) .5mm out. However, not an issue as the mounting holes have lots of "slack"

I have fitted everything using new black M5 bolts. The original plastic top covers were not available, so I have purchased some 12mm black domed adhesive strip that will be fitted in the slots when I finish the work.

The painted knuckles are not quite ready, so I have fitted everything and will put the knuckles in, along with the back bar, tomorrow.

Off to IKEA to get that double bed and wardrobe :)

Jeff
Site Admin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you see a useful post from anyone on the Forum, please hit the "thanks" (thumbs-up) button at the top right of their post. It takes a second, costs nothing, and will be appreciated by the recipient.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: New Boot Rack for the Mk1 Eunos

Post by jthspace » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 pm

What the original boot rack should look like, for reference.
Jeff
Site Admin
If you see a useful post from anyone on the Forum, please hit the "thanks" (thumbs-up) button at the top right of their post. It takes a second, costs nothing, and will be appreciated by the recipient.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: New Boot Rack for the Mk1 Eunos

Post by jthspace » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:37 pm

The finished project - you can see the domed black trim stuck in the grooves. You cannot get the original covers anymore.

I also cut some non-slip matting and put it under each strip - this will help stop dust and grit get under them.
photo.jpg
photo(1).jpg
Jeff
Site Admin