Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

1993 Eunos 1.6 Import from Japan (Miata - MX5 type)

Cars new, old, future we love our cars. Any make, any model this is the place to discus it.

Moderators: jthspace, maximus

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: 1993 Eunos 1.6 Import from Japan (Miata - MX5 type)

Post by maximus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Dexxa wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 pm
Nice car!, I'm so jealous :-( wish i could drive!
Certainly is a very nice car, especially since Jeff got his hands on it :)

So how come your not driving matey? I know it's bloody expensive to learn these days and that puts many off as does the actual cost of motoring. I seem to spend far too long in the petrol station lately ;(

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 am

My son put off driving until he was 25, never needed to (used Mum’s Taxi Service, a bit like Uber but without the cash outlay). Then his girlfriend took the driving duties on. Maybe some pressure there to get him to do the test?

Now he has done the test and bought his first car, a Citroen C1; I don’t know how he folds his 6’3" into it, but he does! Nice car, very impressed.
Jeff
Site Admin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you see a useful post from anyone on the Forum, please hit the "thanks" (thumbs-up) button at the top right of their post. It takes a second, costs nothing, and will be appreciated by the recipient.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 am

Maybe if people hang on long enough they won't have to learnt to drive. The age of the fully automated car is fast approaching :)

My nephew doesn't drive either and he is knocking on 30. Doesn't seem to have affected him much but then other people are always giving him lifts. His mates should join Uber and start charging ;)

Big Citroen fan here by the way :) DS3 Sport was fantastic! Somehow managed to end up in a Skoda Yeti Monte Carlo at the moment. Not the most inspiring car out there but does the job.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:06 pm

I like the look of the Yeti, but I think they must be about to release a new one, when I looked a couple of months ago, nothing seemed to be available (options over standard car, like auto for example)
Jeff
Site Admin
If you see a useful post from anyone on the Forum, please hit the "thanks" (thumbs-up) button at the top right of their post. It takes a second, costs nothing, and will be appreciated by the recipient.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Ours is the 1.2 DSG with the 7 speed auto box. Probably the best auto on the market. You can also switch to manual which I do sometimes as it get's confused going up or down steep hills and revs way too high but apart from that it's fine.

Fuel consumption is not great though at around 40mpg, probably a bit more on a long run. Things don't seem to have improved much in this respect over the last 30 years or so I have been driving. I am constantly disappointed that we are still producing cars that can only achieve these mpg figures. The manufacturer quoted figures are a complete joke but then they are forced to use government stats so that is not entirely surprising. Testing a car under laboratory conditions is never going to produce real world results.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes, but the engine size is probably less than half the size and the auto gearbox more efficient than the 80's with increased size of usable Space, 1000 percent improved safety where the car is the crumple zone, not the occupants. All in all, 40 isn't bad.

Do you still PCP your cars?
Jeff
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Certainly some things have improved over the years but this mpg thing seems to get nowhere. 40mpg would not be so bad if the price of fuel was not so ridiculously high.

Our DS3 Sport was supposed to do over 70mpg..according to the governments figures. Translated to the real world that never got above 52 even on a run to the South Of France and back. That was diesel by the way and a 1.6 manual but still, I expected more from a small light weight car like the DS3.

Yeah we still lease. Only reason I would ever actually buy a car is if we planned another road trip to Ukraine. Leasing won't allow you to take a car outside of the EU...I can't say I blame them. Also of course if we owned the car we would not have to be worrying about mileage. It's well over a 4000 mile round trip to Sasha's mum's place in Eastern Ukraine.

Next car will hopefully be fully electric. The Yeti goes back next August so I am hoping there will be something practical and affordable by then. Lots of manufacturers jumping on the electric band wagon now so with luck momentum will pick up by the end of 2018.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:37 pm

It will be some years before fully electric will be practical for anything other than town driving. And the UK will have to build lots of nuclear power stations to provide enough leccy to charge everything. Maybe they will at last issue local power stations to villages. A 40 foot container with local nuclear generation, same as on ships etc. Yes, really. Possible today and there are rumours it's being seriously considered in one form or another.

Self driving cars - possible in 50 to 100 years, once all manually driven cars are off the road and roads relaid with control circuits in them. Probably won't be AI. Did you read about the two AI units that talked to each other? They invented their own language and refused to acknowledge their controllers and became hostile. Frightening.

So, I drive a PHEV hybrid, it would be excellent in towns and 20 mile journeys as I would use no petrol. Charging costs half the price of equivalent petrol, so economical then. On journeys when the engine has to drive the electric motors, I average 45 mpg. Technology will get better, but it will be some years.

It would be cheaper to fly to Kiev and hire a car, wouldn't it?

Jeff
Jeff
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I think electric cars are doing very well at the moment. Tesla has ranges of over 300 miles and yes I know we are talking bloody expensive cars here but with the likes of BMW, Audi and Mercedes all prepping new electric cars plus of course Dyson are now in on the act it won't be long before they become both more affordable and practical in equal measure.

We definitely need a big investment in battery technology though. It's not so much the range that causes problems but the amount of time it takes to charge a car that is the issue. If it only had a range of 70 miles but you could easily charge it in just a few minutes no matter where you were then it would not be a problem.

Yes flying to Kiev and renting a car would make a lot of sense but then we would miss driving through Austria and Hungary and Romania. The journey for us is often far more important than the destination :)

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Post by jthspace » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 pm

maximus wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm
The Yeti goes back next August.
Give me a call when its time to go back - assuming you can buy the car off the lease? Our workhorse C3 Picasso will be nearly 7 and although it's a great car, a younger, similarly useful, car would be good. We are thinking of letting the PHEV go when it is tax efficient to do so and is written down far enough on the books vs. second hand value (July next year). We don't do enough milage anymore to justify two cars (well three if you include Daisy, the Eunos)
Jeff
Site Admin

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Post by maximus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:43 pm

I would imagine the Yeti could be bought off lease. As far as I am aware they pick the cars up from us and they go straight to auction, the last two did anyway. If I could have afforded it I would have bought the DS3...actually the Peugeot 208 as well, both were excellent cars.

I think we only just about do enough mileage to justify this one lease car! Used to be the case that I would get them on 15k per year and do close to or even more than that. With the Yeti we got it at 10k per year and we are not even doing that so I am not entirely sure it is cost effective now. I know we could definitely do without the expense!