Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Need WINDOWS 10 help?

If you come across a site you'd like to share please post the link here

Moderators: jthspace, maximus

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Need WINDOWS 10 help?

Post by jthspace » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi, have you suffered from the WINDOWS 10 boot horror of a black screen?

Well, maybe before you do the upgrade, hopefully save yourself some grief and check out the links in the website below.

http://www.gegeek.com/

BTW, delete your video drivers BEFORE updating to Windows 10 - their generic version will work for you. Then update the drivers AFTERWARDS if you need to. The Windows 10 upgrade does NOT update display drivers and can cause the black boot screen.

Oh, lots of useful other stuff there as well.
Jeff
Site Admin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you see a useful post from anyone on the Forum, please hit the "thanks" (thumbs-up) button at the top right of their post. It takes a second, costs nothing, and will be appreciated by the recipient.

maximus
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Need WINDOWS 10 help?

Post by maximus » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:11 am

Only just noticed all the stuff you posted here Jeff. Been getting a lot of spam sign ups for the forum so came in to take a look. Funny how busy the place used to be and now it's just completely dead. I guess it's lost it's raison d'etre

On the subject of Windows 10 though. Not had any issues with it so far. Upgrade from Win7 with no problem at all however, my mother-in-law back in Ukraine did the automatic update on her laptop and although it seemed to update ok, the fan was constantly going and the thing was getting very hot. Apparently she was not the only one and it has to do with a some sort of processing that goes on in the background for sometimes hours or days before it settles down.

Ended up with some half with "computer guru" coming in and completely wiping her hard drive...without backing up her files and then installing a dodgy version of Windows 7. She's up and running although she now has no internet because her details were stored on the hard drive so she now has to go to the isp office to get the thing up and running again.

Sasha was NOT happy! We traveled 3000 miles to bring her that laptop and it was all set up perfectly with all fully legal software on it. Then she get's some muppet in to sort it out rather than call her daughter who works in IT for a living? Happy families huh? ;)

Right I'm off. might port the site to the new server and have a play.

jthspace
Site Admin
Site Admin
Alpha Centauri

Re: Need WINDOWS 10 help?

Post by jthspace » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Ha - so when are you driving all the way to the Ukraine again?

Maureen is stopping me upgrading her laptop to Win10 - it took me a year or more to get her old laptop off Vista to XP, sigh. Mind you, her argument "its working, dont touch it" has a ring of sensibility about it.
Jeff
Site Admin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you see a useful post from anyone on the Forum, please hit the "thanks" (thumbs-up) button at the top right of their post. It takes a second, costs nothing, and will be appreciated by the recipient.